A series of panel designs that helped Alphonse Mucha establish himself as the master of Art Nouveau will appear in Swann Auction Galleries’ Vintage Posters sale on August 1 with an estimate of $40,000 to $60,000.
“Times of the Day”, from 1899, was the fourth of six panel series that Mucha created from 1896 to 1902, starting with The Seasons and ending with The Moon and the Stars.
In typical style, they depict beautiful young women draped loosely in flowing robes, surrounded by flowers in nature and framed with decorative motifs.
Ranging from Morning Awakening (Eveil du Matin) to Rest at Night (Repos de Nuit), the four lithographs lead a Mucha offering at the Swann Galleries sale that also includes a poster for the 1921 Mucha Exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum (estimate $10,000 to $15,000), as well as advertising posters for the Salon des Cents from 1896 and Bières de la Meuse from 1897, each with an estimate of $8,000 to $12,000.
Other Mucha material will also be on offer.
Further auction details
- Auction title: Vintage Posters
- Auction date: Wednesday, August 1, at 10:30am & 1:30 pm (EST)
- Preview dates: July 26, 10-6; July 27, 10-5; July 30 & 31, 10-6
- Specialist: Nichols D Lowry • firstname.lastname@example.org • 212-254-4710 x 57
- Social media: @swanngalleries