Fresh white truffles surely are one of the culinary world’s most unique and impressive ingredients.
I’ve made a lot of white truffle recipes, and I always conclude that the most simple are really the best. This recipe takes only about 15 minutes to make, and highlights the white truffle flavor magnificently. Purchase the best quality fontina you can find. The flavor in the cheese is what makes the fonduta delicious. I served this with a buttery, full bodied Chardonnay and I thought the wine pairing was perfect with the creamy fonduta.
Fonduta with Fresh White Truffles
- 7 ounces fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 1/2 teaspoons milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon cornflour or fecule
- 2 ounces fresh white truffle
- Grate the cheese. Combine the 1/2 cup milk and cream, add grated cheese, and let sit for one hour.
- Combine the 2 1/2 teaspoons milk, 2 egg yolks and cornflour or fecule in a small bowl.
- Melt the butter in a small to medium pan (teflon works best), add the cheese, cream and milk mixture, one spoonful at a time, stirring constantly, and allowing the cheese to melt between each addition. When all the cheese, cream and milk mixture has been added, put a few spoonfuls of the hot cheese, cream and milk mixture to the paste of milk, egg yolks and cornflour and stir. Then add this mixture back to the pan and incorporate. Continue to cook the mixture until it thickens into a porridge-like consistency. Season to taste with salt.
- Pour the fonduta into 4 – 6 bowls and shave the white truffles over the top of each bowl as finely as possible.
by Laurel Pine, www.enjoyfoiegras.com